TP4095 - Idle Hill Reservoir (S1800) - in danger?

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

TP4095 - Idle Hill Reservoir (S1800) - in danger?

Postby BasilDowl » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:22 pm

I've put this on the FB page, but thought it worth a mention here.

After visiting this one today, and being slightly concerned about the new earthworks, I've done some digging and it appears that a new planning application was recently put in to develop the entire site; if the works I saw today (and the newly-cleared access on Westfield Lane) are anything to go by, this pillar could well be in serious trouble - so whilst access is easy, I'd suggest visiting if you have it on your to-do list.

http://trigpointing.uk/trig/4095
BasilDowl

Re: TP4095 - Idle Hill Reservoir (S1800) - in danger?

Postby ted » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi,

If preparatory works have started then presumably the application has been approved.

If you can identify the application number, it would be worth emailing the Planning Authority
(Bradford?) to ask what they intend to do with the trig. There are local precedents where the
historical significance of trig pillars has been recognised: Bramley Reservoir (where the
contractors moved the pillar when the original location was redeveloped), Tingley (the
developers reinstated the pillar as a centrepiece of the new houses) and Sharp Haw (nr Skipton)
where a memorial cairn was sited to avoid the trig ( http://trigpointing.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152 )

Regards
Ted
ted

Postby BasilDowl » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:49 pm

I'm going to pen an email to the planners, the housebuilder and anyone else I can find on the planning portal and see what they say. The plans look ideal for a Tingley-style trig display!
BasilDowl

Postby BasilDowl » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:47 pm

Letter has gone to the architect (listed as the agent), the client and the local planning authority today. Will report back when (if...) they respond.
BasilDowl

Postby BasilDowl » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:11 am

I think this one will be ok.

There have been a couple of dozen objections to the planning application, mainly on traffic/access grounds, but a few have mentioned the trig. It doesn't look likely to be granted, imo.

Interestingly someone on hillbagging.com has recently logged a visit to the site, and stated they went inside the structure. I'll definitely be having a revisit and a go at that soon...!
BasilDowl

Postby ted » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:08 pm

Hi,

There have been a couple of dozen objections to the planning application, mainly on traffic/access grounds, but a few have mentioned the trig. It doesn't look likely to be granted, imo

Thanks for checking with the planners and for letting us know the response.
Sounds hopeful :)

Ted
ted

Postby BasilDowl » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:52 am

Just had a letter through from Bradford planning, the application has been withdrawn. Trig safe for now :D
BasilDowl

Postby clochandighter » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:01 am

Worth watching the Planning Applications over the next few months. A developer's trick in Edinburgh is to submit a ridiculous 'Plan A' for intentional rejection, only to follow with a slightly toned down 'Plan B' which usually gets the nod. This practice is probably a well known trick in these circles.

I believe trig pillar S3598 (Polmont) was lost in circumstances like that back in c1991. It was on what was a public park! I had a work colleague from Polmont who fought that develepment.

The trouble is, brown envelopes are powerful and dangerous weapons in the wrong hands!

Best wishes,

G
clochandighter

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum