total trigs logged

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

total trigs logged

Postby dogwalking » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:27 pm

why is it that trigs classed as unreachable but visible are not added onto your total trigs logged. You have made the effort to go and find it so I think it should count destroyed ones count and there is nothing to see :?:
dogwalking

Re: total trigs logged

Postby MAC.HAWK » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:58 pm

I've just checked by adding an 'unreachable but visible' log and it's added it to my total perfectly fine.

Whilst we're on the subject of 'unreachable but visible' I have an issue with people logging (in particular) intersected stations like church spires, towers, flagpoles etc as 'good' when, unless they've actually been up the spire/tower, these should be 'unreachable but visible' in my opinion!
MAC.HAWK

Postby alansmeaton » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:38 pm

Hmm. Think I just used good for intersected stations because the spire or whatever looked in good condition and that's what other people were using. Is it the very end of a spire that should count? Steeplejacks only! Visible but unreachable probably better.
alansmeaton

Postby agentmancuso » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:48 pm

It makes sense that Intersected Stations are logged as 'good' from sight alone as that's how the Ordnance Survey used them; from a distance.
agentmancuso

Postby clochandighter » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:00 pm

In my humble opinion: With intersected stations, I would say 'good'.

Even when being properly used these steeples etc were only being sighted TO, not from. In other words the OS surveyors never went up these spires.

I would say that if you have seen a given spire from a reasonably near point on the ground, say across the road, then 'good' should qualify. Mind you, I would also say that folk should not be logging things from a mile away, that hardly constitutes a 'visit'.

Hope this helps,

GRP.
clochandighter

Postby ted » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:50 pm

It makes sense that Intersected Stations are logged as 'good' from sight alone as that's how the Ordnance Survey

That spoils my vision of an OS surveyor grimly hanging on to the top of a church spire with one hand
whilst clutching a theodolite in the other :)

Ted
ted

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum