New Trig Found

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

New Trig Found

Postby DanTrig » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:26 pm

On a walk in the Southern Uplands I found a trig pillar that isn't logged on the website, it may not be OS even though it looks exactly the same in dimensions, from what I can remember it had a spider on top but probably no bracket on side, the strangest thing about the pillar is its right on the hillside, there are no reservoirs or dams anywhere near it. The closest trig on the website to it would probably be Pykestone Hill. I didn't know whether to add it or not, any advice?
DanTrig

Re: New Trig Found

Postby ted » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi Dan,

On a walk in the Southern Uplands I found a trig pillar that isn't logged on the website

Do you have a grid reference?

I don't know the district at all but note Rob's (peregrinus) comments for
Syart Law / Megget Reservoir http://trigpointing.uk/trig/14724
which gives the location of some non-standard trigs in the same general area.

Hope that helps

Ted
ted

Postby DanTrig » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:09 pm

I haven't got a GPS yet so cannot give you an exact location but the trig must be around NT 19154 30837 just up from the woodland right on the lower hillside we have a photo of the pillar as well. It does look exactly like a normal trig pillar.
DanTrig

Postby agentmancuso » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:05 pm

I know that area pretty well, but I've never noticed that pillar - well found. Although there are no reservoirs in the immediate vicinity, there are definitely undergound waterworks in the Manor Valley. At some point along the road you can see a gated tunnel entrance to the hillside on the east side of the glen; I'd be willing to bet that this pillar is related to the construction works when this was built.
agentmancuso

Postby DanTrig » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:31 pm

Ok cheers for the info, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few of these hillside pillars round here.
DanTrig

Postby DanTrig » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:39 pm

If interested I've uploaded a picture of the trig I found onto the Pykestone Hill trig page (TP5545). The photo's too big to post on here.
DanTrig

Postby ted » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:20 pm

I've uploaded a picture of the trig I found onto the Pykestone Hill trig page (TP5545)

Thanks Dan. Direct link: http://trigpointinguk-photos.s3.amazonaws.com/209/P209349.jpg

Maybe its my eyesight but the pillar looks slightly taller/more tapered than an OS trig.

I think the deciding factor as to whether your pillar has OS origins would be the spider;
the metalwork on top of non-OS pillars tends to look very different.
ted

Postby agentmancuso » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:14 pm

Thanks for that Dan.

The Meggat dam pillars have a circular disc on top, rather than a spider. They also tend to be a bit square and dumpy compared to Hotine elegance:

ImageMeggat Pillar top by agentmancuso, on Flickr

ImageMeggat Pillar & Dam by agentmancuso, on Flickr

agentmancuso

Postby DanTrig » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:28 pm

Cheers for the info and pictures guys, I found the trig in spring last year so I cannot really remember what the top had looked like, I thought it may have just looked like the normal spider because I don't remember the top being any different but I could be wrong, I wished we had took more photos now. It would be good to go back and check again but its quite an awkward place to get to and not very local for me considering I live in the Midlands.
DanTrig

Postby agentmancuso » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:21 pm

I'll have a look at some point soon-ish.
agentmancuso

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum