Is Glendhu Hill TP3384 the remotest English mainland trig?

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Is Glendhu Hill TP3384 the remotest English mainland trig?

Postby sheepsocks » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:49 pm

Today we bagged Glendhu Hill pillar in Northumberland. It's an 8km walk to get to: in a straight line the nearest public road is nearly 7km away (but impractical to reach the trig from, and across the Scottish border).
I can't remember needing as long a walk to reach a trig before, so hence this query. By remote I mean the furthest from a public road not the shortest walkable route, which would be too difficult to compare.
sheepsocks

Re: Is Glendhu Hill TP3384 the remotest English mainland tri

Postby Moacky » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:46 am

I reckoned it was Cumbrian when I visited, but if any passing Northumbrians want to claim it as their own for a few minutes then that's fine! Certainly remote - a good example of where a bike can be used to great effect - especially on the way back down. Sadly it became a YOSM after my visit.
Moacky

Re: Is Glendhu Hill TP3384 the remotest English mainland tri

Postby sheepsocks » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Oh, hadn't realised it's in Cumbria on the trig database..... looking at the map it can only be a few metres out of Northumberland.
I've had a quick measuring session with a ruler on the 1:25000 maps and as far as I can see Glendhu Hill is the remotest of the Kielder area trigs: it's 6.5km in a straight line from the end of the road at Dykecrofts (in Scotland). Berrymoor Edge runs it a close second if you don't count the Kielder Forest Drive (which closes over winter) as a public road. Taking a straight line from Berrymoor Edge you'd need to swim across the Catcleugh reservoir to reach the nearest road in less than 6.5km. In my own home area (North Pennines), although there are trigs that need a long boggy walk to reach, none of them can beat Glendhu Hill because of the number of very high roads crossing the moors between dales.
What about The Lakes or Dartmoor, which I would guess are the other two possible areas for remote trigs?
A clever person with the trig database, OS vector maps data, and a GIS programme could give a definite answer, but it wouldn't be easy!
sheepsocks

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum