"New" trigpoint on South Uist

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

"New" trigpoint on South Uist

Postby Smilemaker » Fri May 26, 2017 7:19 pm

Well, what surprise today on my wanderings. I never even knew that the Admiralty made trig points - I thought they were solely the preserve of the Ordnance Survey.

So, there I was wandering aimlessly, carrying out a biodiversity survey of part of South Uist, when I came across a concrete pillar on the summit of a small pimple on the earth's surface. Even tough I was in the wilder Eastern part of South Uist, I wondered if it might be water pipe or just an abandoned fence post.

No, it was, in fact, an Admiralty trig point by H.M.S. Shackleton 1957, so now it is at least recorded somewhere - it does NOT appear on the OS mapping, nor in any list I have been able to find. I've added a couple of other photos to the new record at http://trigpointing.uk/trigs/view-album.php?t=25771 .

Enjoy visiting it. There is much of interest in the locality - mostly architectural heritage associated with agriculture and the fishing & kelping industries of the 19th Century. If you wan any more information, please get in touch :D .
Smilemaker

Re: "New" trigpoint on South Uist

Postby agentmancuso » Fri May 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Thanks for adding. I'd just sent you an email about this before noticing the forum post.
agentmancuso

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum