Sharp Haw trig at risk?

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Sharp Haw trig at risk?

Postby ted » Wed May 31, 2017 8:28 am

Hi David (Painterman61),

(Welcome to the forum btw)

Noticed in your log for Brown Clee Hill in Shropshire where you said
great topograph though think this fate awaits one of our local top sharpah as planing permission has been granted

Do you have any more info for the planning permission at Sharp Haw http://trigpointing.uk/trig/5916, please?
Is it too late to object to the planning authorities?

Oddly, Brown Clee and Sharp Haw are probably my two most-visited trigs, would guess 20+ visits for each.

Regards,
Ted

(p.s. we seem to cover the same area - perhaps one day our paths will cross :)
ted

Re: Sharp Haw trig at risk?

Postby clochandighter » Wed May 31, 2017 1:34 pm

Hi,

Do you have a note the Planning Application reference number, and which Local Authority this is? It is possible we could find out more details about what is planned online.

Hopefully the plan is to build a toposcope separate from the trig pillar and that the notice has been fixed to the pillar because there is nothing else to post a notification on up there.

Regards,

Graeme
clochandighter

Postby ted » Wed May 31, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi Graeme,

Do you have a note the Planning Application reference number, and which Local Authority this is? It is possible we could find out more details about what is planned online.

Hopefully the plan is to build a toposcope separate from the trig pillar and that the notice has been fixed to the pillar because there is nothing else to post a notification on up there.

I should have thought of that :shock: You are quite right; Earby Rambler's photo from a visit on 14th May
shows the application http://trigpointinguk-photos.s3.amazonaws.com/217/P217280.jpg
The planning authority is the Yorkshire Dales National Park, reference number C/29/69

Then a visit to http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/living-and-working/planning/planning-applications
allows the reference number to be entered and details obtained.

The application status is "Not yet decided". The planning document doesn't refer to the trig pillar as
far as I can see. The scale of the 'detailed plan' isn't sufficient but it does say
Centre of toposcope: [GR: SD 9594 5528] 4.3m at 330 0 from trig.point

The address for enquiries is planning@yorkshiredales.org.uk
- I'll email them to ask if the trig will be affected. We don't want another Brown Clee mafia episode!

Regards
Ted
ted

Postby Painterman61 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:49 pm

Hello again yet again i think another trig is possibly on the way out there's not much room up there for two monuments.Could be another topograph coming soon but why don't they re position the trig somewhere else so it is not lost forever.The other night i had a bit of spare time and painted the trig on weets hill near Barnoldswick was surprised how many local people with children came to visit touch and sit on the trig.It dawned on me that night how many people really like the trigs and would miss them if they were gone after all they've been there 80 years in some cases.
David
Painterman61

Postby ted » Wed May 31, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi David

i think another trig is possibly on the way out there's not much room up there for two monuments.

I'm slightly more hopeful for this one. The planning document says 4.3 metres from the trig, at a bearing of 330 \degrees.
That puts it on the other side of the pillar to the ladder stile. My recollection is that its quite rocky so shouldn't need
much in the way of excavations to create the foundations to support the toposcope. If the applicant considered the
trig to be in the way and wanted its removal then I'd have expected the planning document to state this. I don't
see anything like this mentioned although if others would care to double-check that would help.

I've had an automatic email back from the planning authority address to acknowledge my enquiry. Hopefully they'll
follow-up soon.

Graeme - if it transpires that we do have to argue our case to retain the trig, it would be good if you were
able to check your records on construction date, cost or such like. That would demonstrate that the
trig is a historic monument in its own right and we aren't [just] geeks

Regards
Ted
ted

Postby clochandighter » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:51 am

Hi Ted / David / all,

I have had a quick look at this application and agree with Ted. This looks like the trig pillar is safe as it is. The new structure is proposed to stand "4.3m at 330° from trig point".

When one of my local pillars was joined by a new toposcope around 20 years ago, the O.S. column was treated to a fresh coat of paint before the dignitaries arrived for the unveiling ceremony of the new structure.

For the record: Pillar completed 25th May 1949 costing £23.7s.11d. Computed as tertiary triangulation station SD96/T40 during 1951. Levelled for height also in 1951. Last maintained by the OS in May 1976. :-)

Here's hoping,

Graeme,
clochandighter

Postby ted » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:01 pm

Heres the reply from the planning office

Sent: 01 June 2017 13:03
To: Planning
Subject: RE: Query regarding planning application C/29/69

Dear Mr Allwood, the proposal would be about 5 metres from the Ordnance Survey triangulation pillar and nothing is proposed to it.

I generally work remotely so if you need to contact me, email is the best way and I can ring you if necessary.

Regards

Peter Eggleton
Planning Consultant
Yorkshire Dales National Park
ted

Postby Painterman61 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:05 pm

Hello there
Glad to hear the trig at sharp haw is safe and will not be destroyed after all,Ted and Grahame you have gone out of your way to find out about this every credit to you both.Hope to meet some of the fellow Trig Pointers someday on my travels have only ever met two and then only fleetingly would like to catch one in the act of photographing one and taking a grid reference.
Kind Regards
David Phillips.
Painterman61

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum