Ant1974 - I call you out sir!

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Ant1974 - I call you out sir!

Postby sleepwalker » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:21 pm

Your loggings are robotic and add no value.

Defend yourself.
sleepwalker

Re: Ant1974 - I call you out sir!

Postby Whats the Point » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:58 pm

No comments - no accurate times - over 3000 logs - only 25 photos. Should be removed from the site.
Whats the Point

Postby Cootking » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:41 pm

A general call to those who give no details to put a bit more into reports. Car parking spots/public transport when practicable, access routes, times (approx) are all useful and much appreciated.
See you bagging sometime - haven't met anyone yet but who knows?
Cootking

Postby sheepsocks » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:47 pm

I think anyone who can bag 275 trigs in a day deserves our respect. What a man.
The "trigs in the last 4 days" map has a bizarre circle of dozens of destroyed trigs on it in the East Midlands. My first thought was that some bored trigger was purposely bagging trigs to write messages on the map.
But I think a certain trigger must have downloaded a list of trigs near a particular point and was working through the list page by page, logging all the trigs further and further away from the point. In which case the circle on the map will enlarge day-by-day!
sheepsocks

Postby MAC.HAWK » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:02 pm

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time..........
MAC.HAWK

Postby Ant1974 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:11 pm

Following a communication with one of the administrators I thought I would post my reply to him here

Dear Ian 
I have just read the really aggressive comments on the forum and I am absolutely staggered that something I am doing for fun and entirely for myself seems to be arousing so much ire in people!
A few points worth noting about my activity:
1. My primary interest is in pillars and these are where I like to log information, photos etc and will continue to do so. I only used the pillars section of the system to start with I have recently suffered ill health and for a while many pillars are inaccessible to me at east until I recover. So I have changed my focus.
2. In towns and cities the vast majority of points are destroyed or inaccessible, so there is not much information to add. I do not want to clog the database with yet more photos of an empty stretch of grass or building. I like to travel by bike and see where these former trig points are to get an understanding of how maps were drawn originally, these are points that it is possible to tick off in large numbers but I see no added value in writing 'nothing here' or 'inaccessible' where there is already a good explanation and anything else would just be duplication.
3. Surely this is a fun hobby. I use the database in my own way. I am not competing with anyone or striving to be top of a league table, but go out as and when I choose and as I travel widely and have a lot of time I have the luxury of being able to devote time to something I enjoy.
4 Next year I hope to return to my main focus of pillars, but even then I will not ass information on the logs that is surplus to what I already there.

I hope this explains what I am doing and I am more than happy to respond to your courteous email and I thank the broad minded person on the forum who does seem to understand my goal. Those calling for my removal I think need to get what this is in perspective!
Kind Regards
Anthony
PS I will post this on the forum as well.
Ant1974

Postby Whats the Point » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi Ian -

Great to hear from you and please accept my apologies after hearing of your circumstances.

However the severe criticisms may not have come about if -

1) You had included your story in your profile - which was blank.

2) At least some of your logs had descriptions and comments.

3) Your logs had accurate timing and grid references.

I very seldom log intersection stations myself and think the site was better before they were included in the database. There are several contributors like yourself who make more than twenty logs per day and include intersection stations but they do give some useful detail in their logs.

I hope you recover from your illness soon and can get back to logging pillars which I'm sure we would all prefer.

Brian.
Whats the Point

Postby MAC.HAWK » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:07 pm

When someone records 20++ 'trigs' on the same date at the same visit time it means it's either lazy or false recording. Timing doesn't need to be an accurate science but unless you're Dr Who or Marty McFly you simply can't be in two or more places at the same time however physically close they are in proximity.

Additionally you have recorded visits to a number of Intersected site locations which no other contributor has so far visited, in the spirit of this website it is pretty much unforgivable not to give any information whatsoever about your visit....

e.g. 'would be somewhere where the Co-op now is', 'looks like it's under the motorway', 'destroyed by new housing estate', 'big dog in farmyard prevented me in asking for access', 'difficult to guess where once was, maybe near No 9 Whatever Grove' or maybe a photo!

In my opinion it's also good etiquette that when you visit a trig point that hasn't been visited for some time (say 2+ years) that if nothing has changed to previous log entries that you say so, e.g. '2 years since Fred Flinstones visit details are the same' as these things help fellow trig tiggers no end.

Sure, you're entitled to use this website as you wish but I, like so many others, find it far more rewarding if we can add a little info about the site we've visited or a few details of our personal experience of such to help others.
MAC.HAWK

Postby Ant1974 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Fair points Chaps and taken as such.
I think the logistics of entering the logs while on a motorcycle have lent them a slightly user unfriendly air. I tended to visit ten or so and then stop where I could. I just wanted to see how many I could get round to get a picture of what was used to draw the early maps. I agree with Brian that the IS are not the most interesting and that the pillars were my main focus.
It was merely a little project to see what the Intersected stations looked like in Greater London especially as well as other cities and as so many are reds or greys I just thought I would tick them off as they seemed slightly neglected and finding little of excitement I did not record any data.

Apologies for causing an issue, it was merely a self centred project to get me through what has been a crappy period in many ways and see how far I could get.
Ant1974

Postby Painterman61 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Hello Ant 1974 keep going mate thats the best reply i've seen yet doing em on a motorbike.Its all about having a bit of fun think people take things way to seriously.Myself i hate doing multi logs with all the photos it takes forever and can take over everything if your not careful.Hope you recover well from your illness and get out on the pillars again soon.
Kind regards
David Phillips.
Painterman61

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum