Ordnance Surveyors on Scafell c.1900??

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Ordnance Surveyors on Scafell c.1900??

Postby ajwalmsley1963 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:22 pm

I'm an MA history student at Lancaster University. I have little knowledge about trig points but am currently doing an internship with the National Trust researching the gifting of Scafell and Great Gable as memorials after WW1 and the memorial plaques on the summits. The one on Scafell is located in what is considered as the summit cairn although properly speaking it is a shelter and there is a trig point adjacent to it. This shelter predates the memorial and was built by a team from the Ordnance Survey early in the 2Oth Century, or so I'm led to believe, and I'm looking to find any information or photographs relating to this. Apparently, there was an encampment of surveyors on the summit for a short while when this was going on. Presumably they were doing a triangulation survey.
I've tried The Times and Guardian online as well as British Library Newspapers online with no joy. I've also asked Jonathan Westaway of UCLAN and Rachel Hewitt, author of Map of a Nation: A Biography of the Ordnance Survey but they have no information. Most of the OS archives appear to be at the National Archives. Nothing on the Discovery catalogue suggests anything obvious but I might take a trip there at some point. I'm also in touch with Cumbria Libraries and Archives but haven't found anything through them as yet.
I have recently also contacted sb@trigpointcp.co.uk but not had a reply as yet.
The shelter is referred to in the Fell and Rock Climbing Club Journal of 1919 in an article about the Peace Day celebrations: 'Tea was the next consideration so we adjourned to the shelter, a rectangular enclosure of six-foot high walls built by the Ordnance Surveyors...' - http://www.frcc.co.uk/wp-content/upload ... Vol5-1.pdf.
Any information or suggestions regarding information about the building of the shelter would be gratefully received.
Apologies of this forum is not the right place for this sort of question.
ajwalmsley1963

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum