Introduction to the subject books

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Introduction to the subject books

Postby CazM » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi,

Out on our walks over the years it seems we have have seen one or two of these points and my husband has mentioned them a couple of times since. I was thinking about getting him something about them and was wondering if there was a book that was suitable for a beginner to read up about it, nothing too weighty, maybe just an introduction to the subject with a bit about why, when, how etc? Is there such a thing someone could recommend?
Thanks in advance.

Carole.
CazM

Re: Introduction to the subject books

Postby MAC.HAWK » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:30 pm

I'm not aware that there is such a book published, I would recommend that you avoid 'Map of a Nation - A Biography of the Ordnance Survey' by Rachel Hewitt as it's a very technical book relating to the OS mapping of country up to the late 19th century.

A good start would be to watch, or download if you can, the BBC Timeshift programme 'A Very British Map - The Ordnance Survey Story' which is currently available via the following links https://vimeo.com/139112512 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5_kWzUahQU.

It doesn't or won't answer all your/his questions but helps to give a little background to the subject - it's only available on the 'net as far as I'm aware - the BBC do re-broadcast it now and again (usually on BBC 4) but I don't think it's available to buy on DVD.

Hope this helps.
MAC.HAWK

Postby CazM » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Thanks for the reply MAC.HAWK. I did wonder if such a book would be available. I will point him in the direction of your suggestions, we'll see how he gets on.
I was going to attach a have drink on me smiley for your help, but I see there isn't one!
CazM

Postby Moacky » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:17 pm

You could try 'Primary Trigs in Wales' by John Davies.
it covers the story behind the Welsh pillars, has a lot of human interest, and not too much heavy maths!
Moacky

Postby CazM » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:19 pm

Thanks very much Moacky! I shall pass it on.
Still no have a drink on me smiley though!!
CazM

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum