jordel bank os

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

jordel bank os

Postby darren-mountains » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:18 pm

went to jordel bank at the weekend to tick off the os pillar was told not a chance would i get near it noone has been to it for 25 years plus however looking at the logs on hear people have been last year to the trig

how did you get to the trig please i know they have some work going on there at the moment but has to be a way to get to that point

TIA
darren-mountains

Re: jordel bank os

Postby ted » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:42 pm

went to jordel bank at the weekend to tick off the os pillar was told not a chance would i get near it

Access from the Jodrell Bank visitor area to the north of the trig pillar used to be possible but more
recently this route has been blocked. Later visitors have sought permission from Bridge Farm, to the
south west, crossing fields to get to the trig. That would leave you on the wrong side of a fence/hedge
but the pillar should be within touching distance.
ted

Postby CazM » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:12 pm

wow, do you all go to such trouble to get to one? It must be a boy thing, I would be pleased if I came across one duringa normal walk but having to negotiate various obstacles would be outside my zone. How much trouble would you all go to to get to one?
CazM

Postby ted » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:41 pm

do you all go to such trouble to get to one? It must be a boy thing

Mostly a bloke thing perhaps although by no means exclusively.

As regards the effort involved, that seems to be part of the fun. I started visiting
trigs whilst hill walking and, gradually, logging a trig pillar became the purpose
of a trip in itself. As the ticks accumulate, possible targets emerge, for example visiting
all trigs within a certain distance from home, or on one's local landranger map,
or OS grid square or all in a certain county, and so on. The difficult exceptions (there
always some) then become a challenge which might require some fence scaling or
maybe (harmless but stealthy) trespassing.

So trig visiting, for some, is very much a matter of bagging entries on a list. Sad? Maybe
but its a good way of visiting places that one might otherwise ignore (and in a few cases,
never wish to see again). No different in principle from visiting say, all hilltops which
meet particular criteria.

Regards
Ted
ted

Postby CazM » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi Ted,
Hope you didn't think I meant the bloke thing in derogatory way, I didn't at all, quite the opposite!

I can understand the difficulty involved being part the fun and its always good to be out in the fresh air in the countryside. The fact that it may get you to places you may otherwise not visit is a good thing too. I imagine the difficult exceptions you mention become a challenge to be overcome. Don't get into trouble with your stealthy trespassing!!

Carole
CazM

Postby asbown » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:01 pm

I got caught here nipping over the fence several years back after being given permission to visit the picnic area, the security officer was OK though and never had a problem, maybe the new buildings have changed things, sounds like the farm option is a better idea these days.
asbown

Postby Deego » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:13 pm

It was 2005 I logged it but I am sure I just walked right in through the main section :) :) Things may have changed since then ..
Deego

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum