Question RE Trig Search Feature

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Question RE Trig Search Feature

Postby KL1982 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:15 am

Hi all

I'm looking for some help RE the search feature.

Is it possible to narrow down a search to all trigs within a specific area, rather than a radius search?

What I mean is: is there a way of searching for all trigs in Perthshire, all trigs in Inverclyde etc

Thanks in advance
KL1982

Re: Question RE Trig Search Feature

Postby Cootking » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi, have a look at the Trig tools option and under breakdown you can find trigs in areas. As I live in Dunblane I can get Central region but individual counties - I don't think is an option. Problem with counties is of course that the boundaries have changed over the years. Dunblane has switched between Stirling and Perth. Happy bagging, something I'd be doing if I wasn't icebound just now. Cootking
Cootking

Postby agentmancuso » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:35 pm

T:UK uses the 1974 Regional Council boundaries, rather than ceremonial or administrative councils. Not very satisfactory, given that the Regions have been abolished for as long as they were ever in existence. I suspect the arrangement was adopted from Geocaching, which works the same way; Groundspeak used to insist regularly that vector files for current LA boundaries were impossible to obtain, which always seemed dubious. Hill-bagging.co.uk lists various council options, so it is theoretically possible, but I doubt very much that we can do anything about it.
agentmancuso

Postby KL1982 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:13 pm

No problem, thanks guys.

I suspected there would have been issues (notwithstanding boundary trigs).

I'll tell you what I'm specifically looking for - all trigs on mainland North Ayrshire, including boundary trigs (i.e. Hill of Stake).

(N Ayrshire for now - next task is S and E Ayrshire).

I don't want to accidentally miss one!

What I have so far is:

The Knock
Burnt Hill
Hill of Stake
Irish Law
Green Brae
Kaim Hill
Baidland Hill
Goldenberry Hill
North Hill
Ponderry Hill
Lochlands Hill

I don't think any are missed?

(Curious RE Blackshaw Hill as it has what appears to be a trig on it. ?)

Again - thanks in advance.
KL1982

Postby agentmancuso » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:30 pm

If you zoom in on this map centred on North Hill you'll see all the trig stations in North Ayrshire, though you'll need to factor in the land boundary for reasons already stated.

There's nothing in the OS records about Blackshaw Hill, assuming you mean the 217m point a mile or so WNW of North Hill. If you can supply a photo I'll have a look.
agentmancuso

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum