Please help identify a trig point

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Please help identify a trig point

Postby Bradders278 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:30 am

Hi all,

I have gone through as many pictures as I can and searched on google using compound searches with all the elements of this photo but I’ve had no luck after hours and hours.

I have a photo a friends late father and I’d like to pinpoint the exact trig point in the photo to give the photo some ‘meaning’ and likely even visit there.

If anyone could help that would be great. Defining features are that there is a track running in the near background, there is a lake or body of water (estuary?), there is another small pile of stones maybe with a plaque on top?, and pine trees in the photo too.

From the Derbyshire are so likely in the Peak District although there is no guarantee!

Any help would be totally amazing. I’ve blanked the person in the photo out of respect as this is obviously not my photo to share.

Kind regards,
Scott.
Attachments
AF7F666B-C945-4F39-80C0-D8E63D486E59.jpeg
Pic
AF7F666B-C945-4F39-80C0-D8E63D486E59.jpeg (145.65 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
Bradders278

Re: Please help identify a trig point

Postby ted » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Interesting... but I don't think the scene is in Derbyshire. Offhand the largest expanse of water that I can think
of in that county is Carsington reservoir but it doesn't seem to match. Would guess the photo is of an estuary.

For a moment I thought it might be Arnside Knott http://trigpointing.uk/trig/889 looking N over the
Kent estuary before the trees grew up. But unlikely.

Good luck in finding it.
ted

Postby Bradders278 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:04 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I agree that doesn’t look like the one but the hunt continues!

Thanks again.

Scott.
Bradders278

Postby MAC.HAWK » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:35 am

Well it's certainly not Arnside Knott but do we have any idea of when the photo was taken? Erosion at the base was obviously an issue at the time of the photo or maybe the the clothing of the 'mystery guest' might give us a clue.

Look's estuary/Loch to me.

Sadly magnification of the Flush Bracket doesn't reach TV standards - which can seemingly read 'everything' no matter how indistinct or improbable!!
MAC.HAWK

Postby Cootking » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:06 pm

I'd contact CSI as they seem to have software which allows seemingly infinite magnification and sharpening.
Cootking

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum