Trig Rescue International Group (TRIG)

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Trig Rescue International Group (TRIG)

Postby Moacky » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Rob started a discussion on the 'Finding all the UK trig points' Facebook group about the current status of pillar TP3005 - Easter Fortissat, and whether it has been 'burnt' in a bonfire. If this were a steam engine a group of enthusiasts could club together and buy it from its owner. Can we do that for a trig point? The farmer doesn't want it, the OS have no use for it, we don't want to see its demise. Incidentally do farmers get any kind of 'rental payment' for having a pillar on their land. We have an electricity pole and get a small amount each year. Of course once we got this pillar, or any others, where we replaced it would be a whole new discussion! I can imagine Charles as the Chair of the Trig Rescue International Group (TRIG)
Moacky

Re: Trig Rescue International Group (TRIG)

Postby FrankR » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:02 am

I agree with saving trigs. I'm not really clued up on the whole rights of way / access land and what rights people have on other peoples land etc, but I kind of view this trigs as heritage and it would be nice if there was something in place to protect them (meaning grumpy farmers etc cannot pull them down), and also, some form of access to all of them would be nice, i.e. a public right of way. It does seem a shame that some of these are getting removed / damaged / overgrown due to landowners.
Take for example TP6369, The common near Biddulph. This pillar was removed, and no access on land allowed. Its 100 yards from a road in a muddy farmers field, completely out of sight of the posh hall who presumably owns the land. I mean was it really necessary to go to such lengths to prevent people going to that?
Maybe this is just my odd view on things but it would be nice if these trigs had some form of protection.
Anyway, rant over.
FrankR

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum