Mountain Bikes To Trigs

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Re: Mountain Bikes To Trigs

Postby MAC.HAWK » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:31 am

Your logging profile shows that you have multiple 'Trig Tig's' throughout the UK. You can do what you wish with your 'bike' in 'sensible' (sic) Scotland but in the rest of the UK you need to obey the law.

I actually 'tig' all my trigs 'On Foot' from wherever the nearest public transport (or my pushbike) delivers me.

The environmental damage of a mountain bike on an unsurfaced path/route not designed to accommodate such is plainly environmental vandalism.
MAC.HAWK

Postby fasgadh » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:51 am

Yes, and often it was a slightly depressing experience. signs everywhere, forbidding lots of things including walking. You do understand that I am not welded to a bike.. most of them were done on foot. Most trigs are not on “footpaths” anyway. How do you cope with the same law when it restricts access to rights of way. Perhaps we are alike after all.(see Agentmanusco re the dangers of using the law)

To repeat... if you want to save some effort getting to trigs in the Cairngorms.. it is easy, legal and generally accepted by all parties that you can use a bike. Not such an issue down south where the pillar is usually only a few hundred metres from a road. I hope the information is useful. You are still free to walk in if you want.
fasgadh

Postby MAC.HAWK » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:00 pm

Maybe we aren't too far apart after all, just a different perspective and obviously the Scottish 'rules' are different from the rest of the UK. But, sadly, I've walked too many footpaths that have been churned up by bikes (mountain, motor or other.......) into a mud fest' to make me particularly unsympathetic to mountain bikers on footpaths.

In reality I suppose it's all down to population density.

Let's face it the amount of mountain bikers rolling up towards Carn Eiteige, Beinn a Chrulaiste or the Hill of Slake trigs in Scotland are likely to be virtually nil, but the low level greenfield footpaths around urban areas - Birmingham, Nottingham, Cardiff, Manchester, Belfast, Leeds etc ............... well any large urban community really, seem to be open game to the mountain biker to the detriment of those of us on foot and the environment.
MAC.HAWK

Postby fasgadh » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:18 pm

"in reality I suppose it's all down to population density."

Not a good argument unless referring to a specific area. Scotland is polarised.. most of the country is empty, really empty hence this idea. The flip side is that over half the population is crammed into a small area - the Central Belt. Population densities here are no different to any other British urban area. Have a look at OS 1:50k sheet 64. I would also suspect that the lack of restrictions encourages greater numbers to ride.

"well any large urban community really, seem to be open game to the mountain biker to the detriment of those of us on foot and the environment." But not if its Glasgow or Edinburgh, strange that. (There are overused paths of course but they are overused by all users and walking is as much part of the problem. There is no right of access to fragile paths when conditions are wet, you have to wait for the sun to come out).
Last edited by fasgadh on Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fasgadh

Postby MAC.HAWK » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:47 pm

Population density is a perfectly good argument as it's plainly obvious that within any given highly populated area there will be a far larger number of people using 'mountain bikes' (sic) than there will be in a sparsely populated area.

It's true that the 'sparsely populated areas' are a real attraction for many 'mountain bikers' but I think it's a very reasonable assumption that the vast majority of people who ride 'mountain bikes' do not actually ride these up/down mountains but rather use them as 'all terrain' bikes - on roads, tracks, bridleways, towpaths etc and, sadly, footpaths.

My experience of hiking over many, many years - admittedly mostly in England - is that the RoW footpaths in and around any major urban conurbation suffer badly from the misuse of the cycle and that the further you leave the urban conurbation behind the less damage you find. Of course there are certain 'hot spots' out in the middle of nowhere that are the exception to this where irresponsible 'mountain bikers' simply can't resist the urge to wreck a footpath.
MAC.HAWK

Postby fasgadh » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:05 pm

"Population density is a perfectly good argument as it's plainly obvious that within any given highly populated area there will be a far larger number of people using 'mountain bikes' (sic) than there will be in a sparsely populated area."

Absolutely true. See above.
fasgadh

Postby MAC.HAWK » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:21 pm

Ipso facto - I rest my case (c)The Perishers
MAC.HAWK

Previous

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum