Trig refound....

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Trig refound....

Postby peregrinus » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Bloody Point pillar is still there if Sunday's log is to be believed. http://trigpointing.uk/trig/1501 Hopefully not a false alarm and the promised photos will appear.
peregrinus

Re: Trig refound....

Postby tomaszewski » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Not a false alarm I'm pleased to say . I've uploaded a few pics now , though experiencing trouble getting them all up . It would appear that the development which would have seen it destroyed in 1992 never happened , the site is very overgrown and derelict . As you had mentioned in the log of 2005 it is a very interesting place , a navy training base for many many years , then until the early 90's a police training place .
tomaszewski

Postby tomaszewski » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:29 pm

Just uploaded the all important FB photo 10744 !! How much longer it will be there who knows ?
tomaszewski

Postby ted » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:59 am

Nice to see a report of a trig pillar regained in contrast to some recent losses. :)

Ted
ted

Postby peregrinus » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:50 pm

Great find. Not a refind but a first find. Interesting to follow the sequence of events. 1992 the OS record its forthcoming destruction and unmap the pillar. Somehow the development doesn't happen to the extent planned. A decade later I turn up with no GPS. and fail to find it. A few other folk apparently look in not quite the right place. Eventually you turn up and have a proper search in the right place.
peregrinus

Postby tomaszewski » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:58 pm

Thanks . I think its the highlight of my trigging career to see it change from destroyed to good condition . I would guess that doesnt happen often . I think the proposed development may still go ahead one day which will see the trigs eventual demise , Though maybe a feature would be made of it that would be good to see ...
tomaszewski

Postby clochandighter » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:52 am

Congratuations 'tomaszewski '.

Although not completely unheard of, trig refinds are extremely rare, so very well done on finding 10744. Even more unusual for a refind is that it is apparently still standing at its original location. I don't know the circumstances of the 1992 development but if it has survived twenty odd years, then any planning consent for that parcel of land will have lapsed long ago, so this pillar is probably safe for the foreseeable time, unless there is a new planning application in hand or developer already working very near to the trig.

This pillar was new in February 1960 and like other 10000 series FB trigs in Secondary Block TM23 (Ipswich) were late additions with most of that Block being built in 1947/48 and some earlier pillars in 1937/38. It appears that these newer 10000 series pillars in that area were possibly built as substitute for other nearby markers, this one for Bloody Point Wtr Twr TM23/T7 (bolt & centre) which itself is still extant. The original markers which many of the other later pillars were built to substitute are long gone. Details of each are on the Trigonomy Spreadsheet 2013 within Yahoo group Trigonomy.

If only there were more refinds,

Graeme
clochandighter

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum