Sykes Pillar formerly Broadstone Trigg point

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Sykes Pillar formerly Broadstone Trigg point

Postby Sykesz » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi everyone, can anyone suggest the easiest assent to this trigg? I’m a total beginner and looking for the safest way to get up there...any guidance would be great
Sykesz

Re: Sykes Pillar formerly Broadstone Trigg point

Postby agentmancuso » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:27 pm

I don't recognise the name. Do you have a Grid Ref or approximate location?
agentmancuso

Postby MAC.HAWK » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:21 pm

It's actually on the TP DB as Saddleworth (TP5786). I found the easiest way to approach it was from the minor road heading up Running Head Hill that turns to track/RoW footpath initially heading towards Broadstone Clough.

Then take either of the following options.

1. Where the RoW footpath veers to the right heading towards Slades Barn carry on ahead briefly to cross the wall ahead onto the open moor. Now simply follow Broadstone Clough itself uphill and as you near the summit you should see the pillar away to your left.

alternatively

2. Follow the RoW footpath to Slades. At the RoW junction turn left to Slades Rocks and then onto the open moor. Turn left and follow the wall at your left briefly (passing Slades Pits) to the end of the wall. Carry on in the same direction to summit the hill where you'll find the pillar pretty much directly ahead.

Ideally choose a relatively dry period as you'll have to cross Broadstone Clough at some point and it can be a little 'moist' at times.

Return via either route. No idea where you'd park the car as all my trigging is done via public transport (this one I did on a round trip from the railway station at Marsden).

Hope this helps..
MAC.HAWK

Postby agentmancuso » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:00 pm

Ah, thanks.

As a complete guess, I notice there's a church a mile or so to the SW; there's often space to park outside churches.
agentmancuso

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum