TP1579 - Bramley Resr

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

TP1579 - Bramley Resr

Postby BasilDowl » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:25 am

Having now read between the lines, I think I may have revealed information that others may have deliberately been vague in discussing...

is it better to allow those who follow you a clear access route, or leave it open for their own interpretation... or indeed, will publishing a clear route prompt action from the authorities and landowners, and see heretofore accessible routes become the opposite?

Not sure which way to go now...
BasilDowl

Re: TP1579 - Bramley Resr

Postby agentmancuso » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:41 am

An interesting question. There have been occasions when individual landowners have threatened T:UK with legal action; mostly bluster I reckon, but not something that Ian should have to put up with. So where there is any history of specific objection to access it's wise to retain a measure of discretion. I'm unaware of any approach from waterboard people or anything similar in this case.

In Scotland, of course, the vast majority of attempts to restrict access are in themselves illegal. In other, more backward, jurisdictions, superstitions such as private property still carry a lot of weight, on paper.
agentmancuso

Postby MAC.HAWK » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:35 pm

The TP UK website only gives details of the location of the the various OS 'stations' throughout the country. By doing so it does not de facto encourage or discourage individuals to visit such.

The issue then comes in that by allowing users to publish details on the website of how to visit locations that are a trespass, is TPUK responsible for allowing/encouraging such actions and is it acting in an irresponsible way?
MAC.HAWK

Postby ted » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:15 pm

Hi,

will publishing a clear route prompt action from the authorities and landowners,

In some cases, I fear this is so. There is one instance, not far south from Leeds, where the landowner
actively monitored the trigpointing web site and arranged for their trig pillar to be destroyed on the
grounds of trespassing on their property by baggers (despite the lack of evidence to support this claim).

So I'd suggest "If in doubt, say nowt". In the case of Bramley reservoir, no harm done by your log.
When the reservoir had a makeover a couple of years ago, the contractor was clearly sympathetic
to the trig and moved it from its previous 'at risk' location. Perhaps the original hidden path
wasn't an oversight :) And as for the gaps that appear in the railings from time to time, I doubt
these were made by trig-baggers.

Regards
Ted
ted

Postby BasilDowl » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Thanks Ted, much appreciated.
BasilDowl

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum