The new primary GNSS stations

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

The new primary GNSS stations

Postby sphinx2 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:41 pm

Good afternoon, a message for members. Does anyone know if the locations are readily accessible to the public. Locations at https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/gps/os-net-rinex-data/

Also, has anyone developed a spread sheet for converting the Cartesian coordinates for these points into latitude/longitude, as per https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/docume ... ritain.pdf

Thirdly, are these stations just passive or are they logging the satellite data all the time?

Both come under the heading of OS Net RINEX data.

Any advice appreciated.
sphinx2

Re: The new primary GNSS stations

Postby agentmancuso » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:58 pm

These stations are Active Stations i.e. they are continuously recording RINEX satellite data related to position. They are all listed as such on T:UK. Some are easily accessible; others, particularly in urban locations, are on the roof of buildings hence generally only visible from a distance. Coordinates for Active Stations are published in both BNG and WSG84 formats, which is all anyone has ever required afaik.
agentmancuso

Postby sphinx2 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Many thanks for the prompt reply (busy last few days, including White Horse and Liddington Castle TPs). One more question, are there any photographs of such stations that I could use in a lecture? Best wishes, Sphinx2
sphinx2

Postby agentmancuso » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:23 pm

On T:UK almost all stations will have photos by now. Some are marked copyright, so you'd need to contact the owner, but many are not copyrighted so you'd be free to use those, though I guess some acknowledgement of source would be appropriate.
agentmancuso

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum