Help please

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Help please

Postby JohnE » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:34 am

Hello everyone.

Recently on the 9th May 2020 painterman61 posted some information on the trig point located at Black Hameldon moor SD 91422 29101. My interest in this was related to the crash site of WW2 B-24 Liberator 42-50668 and the poster gave an 8 figure reference for the location of the final resting place of this aircraft.

I have tried to find the site using a 6 figure reference, which is contained in a book listing similar sites all over the UK, but I failed miserably. I have just ordered a reasonable GPS map unit and when it arrives I will try again. If my thinking is correct a 6 figure reference on a desolate moor such as Black Hameldon means that I could be 100 metres away from the location and not see it so hopefully the 8 figure reference will get me there.

So here is my question. The book listing these historic sites only gives 6 figure references and so have any of your regular posters visited similar sites on the Peninnes, Peak District or North Wales and if so where can I find the grid references.

My interest in these sites is largely because my dad flew heavy bombers during WW2 and in fact the aircraft on Black Hameldon whilst being an AAF version is exactly what my dad flew from 1944 through to the end of 1945.

Many thanks. John Edgington
JohnE

Re: Help please

Postby agentmancuso » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:45 pm

JohnE wrote:... If my thinking is correct a 6 figure reference on a desolate moor such as Black Hameldon means that I could be 100 metres away from the location and not see it so hopefully the 8 figure reference will get me there.

Yes, anything up to 140m away in theory! Unless the wreckage is tiny an 8 figure reference should be enough.

Don't know anything about the crash sites though, other than a few I've stumbled upon in the Southern Uplands, sorry.
agentmancuso

Postby JohnE » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:52 pm

Thank you. :D

As a matter of interest do you all use just a map and compass or do you us a handheld GPS mapping device
JohnE

Postby agentmancuso » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:01 pm

I first bought myself a Garmin as a Xmas present in 2006, and now won't go further than the garden gate without it.

Most people use a GPS of some kind I think, though there might be some old-fashioned pillars-only trig baggers who rely on map & compass still.
agentmancuso

Postby JohnE » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:05 pm

:D :D :D

I can read a map providing there is something to see but the site in my original post has virtually no significant features so I ended up with very wet feet and tired legs but lots of others have managed to find the site so maybe I should just buy a small drone and fly it over the area however part of the challenge is to find it without levitation :lol: :lol: :lol:
JohnE

Postby MAC.HAWK » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:50 pm

You might like to look at these web pages

http://aircrashsites.co.uk/air-crash-si ... ashire-uk/

https://peakwreckhunters.blogspot.com/2009/

The co-ordinates as detailed by someone in the comments section of the first website (SD 91182 30039) indicate the location is where the flag is on the attached map - I have no idea if these are accurate or otherwise but I'd imagine (hope) they were posted in good faith.

There is a faint path from the road north of Stiperden Bank (where the OS map shows a height of 398) that more or less follows the line of the county boundary to the trig pillar. From the Hoof Stones Height trig head north for half a mile and the crash site's a little way on the left (approx 200 yards) - if the co-ordinates noted above are accurate.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
Black Hambledon Crash Site 3.jpg
Black Hambledon Crash Site 3.jpg (158.25 KiB) Viewed 561 times
MAC.HAWK

Postby JohnE » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:46 pm

Thank you that's fantastic. I am absolutely determined to find this place and so I have ordered a GPS map unit and have booked myself onto a brush up navigation skills course this weekend. However I intend to go back to that moor sometime this week and use your locator, an area map and a compass using the locator as a marker when walking from the trip point. The trig point is very easy to find but I made the mistake of trying to find my coordinates using an app from OS but I soon discovered that the distances between say 912 300 and 910 304 were way to large given that the moor has no features. I will let you know when I find it but thank you for the time taken to post the detail, its very much appreciated
JohnE

Postby MAC.HAWK » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:06 pm

You're more than welcome, please do let us know if you have a successful find.
MAC.HAWK

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum