Buckinghamshire Mystery

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Buckinghamshire Mystery

Postby Sharp » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:51 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkuq2d4wnus2x1p/GB6W.png?dl=0 is very useful indeed.

Within area SP74 it shows a trig labelled 4671. Its on a straight line plot about half way between these two trigs:-
- TP6977 S1883 Windmill Hill SP 85234 / 20017
- TP4933 S4933 Mainshill SP 78350 / 130053

I can't find it on my OS 50,000 map.

Can anyone advise, svp.

Thanks
Sharp

Re: Buckinghamshire Mystery

Postby MAC.HAWK » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:06 pm

It's Quarrendon TP5552, long since destroyed and removed from OS mapping.
MAC.HAWK

Postby Sharp » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:53 pm

Thanks for that; most helpful.

Now, tell me, how could I have worked that out for myself?

It would be helpful to know as I may have come across other similar anomalies.

Many thanks.
Sharp

Postby MAC.HAWK » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:35 pm

OK, so you've gave us the details of two trig point references and I looked at both. I selected the Windmill Hill pillar as my initial main reference point.

Looking at the map as shown on Dropbox I could see that the 4671 pillar was (roughly) south west of Windmill Hill.

Returning to the Windmill Hill pillar page of TUK I simply looked on the accompanying grid to the right of the page for the next pillar roughly in that (SW) direction - you might need to zoom out if the trig isn't shown - and selected one that looked in the rough direction of SW and left clicked on it (I'm using a desktop PC here), this brought the Quarrendon entry up and the details matched those you had noted including the 4671 number on the Dropbox map.

On the grid as detailed above you can choose to show labels (i.e. the names given to the trig points) which is fine if you don't include Intersected Stations but if you have included such the map can look very messy.

Another option would be to select the Nearby, trigpoints option just below the main details of every trigpoint, this gives you trigpoint names and a distance & direction reference from your main reference point to (unsurprisingly) nearby trig points.

Try it with a few you know just to get the hang of it if the above isn't too clear.

Hope this helps.
MAC.HAWK

Postby Sharp » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:32 am

Got it. Excellent explanation, many thanks.
Sharp

Postby TrigJS » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:32 am

Just wondering what the source of the map in the original post is? Map has "GRP 1999" on it which I take is the authors initials and the year of creation?

Also most locations are coloured black but some are coloured blue. What does this mean? Visited by GRP maybe?
TrigJS

Postby agentmancuso » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:54 am

Yes, GRP is Graeme Paterson, source of this and much other invaluable trigging information. Entries in blue are destroyed pillars (or destroyed FBs, possibly).
agentmancuso

Postby clochandighter » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:25 am

GB6W is my creation and was assembled mainly in 1999. It has been updated many times since but not since last year. If you have just recently downloaded GB6W.png from the Dropbox source, then you have the up to date version.

The numbers represent the flush bracket (FB) numbers physically on the the pillars. Where the numbers are black, the pillar is still in reasonable condition and can be identified on site by its FB number. Where the numbers are blue, these pillars are either destroyed or have lost their number to theft etc. I would normally use red for deleted numbers but red was already being used for the secondary block projection lines. The only personalisation on this map are that some trig locations locations are marked with crosses, and others with dots. Those with crosses have been visited by me so are heavily weighted to the northern end of GB. The only updates usually applied to this map are if I visit new (to me) trigs, or if I receive notification of a destruction where the font would then be changed from black to blue.

Hope this helps.

GRP. (clochandighter)
clochandighter

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum