TP2062/S7414 - Cawdor

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

TP2062/S7414 - Cawdor

Postby Aqueously90 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:25 pm

Afternoon all,

I know it's comparatively tiny next to some of the longstanding triggers on here; but I am currently sitting on 49 logs since I joined! The information and tips from members on this site have been incredibly helpful, and Teasel's Android app has been invaluable in my trig visits.

For #50, which I consider to be the first of many future milestones, I want to give a little something back to the community for their vast efforts. S7414 in the Highlands seems to be considered as a horrible trig to visit - mainly due to the impenetrable blackthorn surrounding the summit of the dun (only one log on the site since '06). I attempted it once, back in August, and only managed to get within about 10m. So, I'm planning to clear a proper path up to the trig, and give it a right good whitewashing to hopefully make it more worthwhile to visit. I was up there last night with a blunt pair of secateurs, and managed to make a small but encouraging dent (5m to the trig, +/- 2m) in the thorns on the south-side of the summit before it got too dark. Another visit sometime this week is in order - with a handsaw, thicker gloves, and a lamp.

Does anyone have any better suggestions for clearing the blackthorn? Is weedkiller an approved trigger's tool? Obviously it's just going to grow back, so I'd like to make a lasting impression in it. Maybe I'll end up with a good shillelagh at the end :)

Ta,
Steven
Aqueously90

Re: TP2062/S7414 - Cawdor

Postby Aqueously90 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:53 pm

Trig has been logged, path has been cut, photos will be uploaded to the trig page later tonight. I'm planning another visit soon, just to tidy up some more pruning and to give the trig a whitewash.

Would there be any objections to it being painted? I know it's been quite heavily chipped away at in the past, would a whitewashing attract unwanted attention?

If anyone heads up there before I'm there next, just be wary that there are still some stumps that need trimmed down. They are a bit of a trip hazard at the moment.

Ta,
Steven
Aqueously90

Postby poge1111@hotmail.com » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:43 pm

Steven, We visited this one last year and again this year. (I was brought up about a mile away) thank you for cutting back the blackthorn, would never have found it otherwise, even though I knew it was there having visited as a child 40 odd years ago. We intend to make an annual visit
poge1111@hotmail.com

Postby Aqueously90 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:45 pm

No probs, I have mean meaning to go back but it's a bit of a distance. Is the path still useable?
Aqueously90

Postby poge1111@hotmail.com » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:38 pm

I would say a very difficult path, Lots of trees blown across it which you have to clamber over. Then the scramble to the top is hard going if you don't go in at the right bit. Think I will take pruners next time. Have you by any chance found the point at Culloden? We looked yesterday and failed.
poge1111@hotmail.com

Postby Aqueously90 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:14 pm

Ah OK, it's been a couple of years since I cleared the thorns at the top. I have been to all the ones around there, the Culloden one was fairly easy, just past a derelict wee cottage.
Aqueously90

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum