Ireland

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Ireland

Postby agentmancuso » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:39 pm

A fair number of Irish stations have appeared on T:UK of recent. Historically, I've tended to argue that as the Irish network is not part of OSGB36 it doesn't really belong here, but if people want to record their visits to Irish stations then fair enough, especially as there is no other effective way of doing so AFAIK.

The problem is that as T:UK relies on the British Grid system, it doesn't sync well with Irish grid refs, hence Irish pillars tend to be listed in the vicinity of Campbeltown or else lost in the North Atlantic. Would it not be better to upload the full set of Irish pillars with proper WSG84 references?
agentmancuso

Re: Ireland

Postby ted » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:24 pm

Hi Bernie,

You probably know about http://www.trigpointing-ireland.org.uk/

The site is no longer maintained but provides a useful source of information about
Irish trigs.

Regards
Ted
ted

Postby peregrinus » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:22 pm

I did use the TPUK app when I was over there in May this year. I don't recall checking whether the few trigs I logged were in the right place, but I have the impression they are about right. Craigantlet looks pretty good (middle of road but I don't know how precise OpenCycleMap is). I'd agree it would be good to get them all onto TPUK if the projection issue can be dealt with. I've very rarely over there though: last time was 2005.
peregrinus

Postby agentmancuso » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:30 pm

ted wrote:Hi Bernie,

You probably know about http://www.trigpointing-ireland.org.uk/

Thanks Ted, yes, I was looking at it today for the first time in ages as it happens. I do have a rough database of Irish trigs, much of the data for which probably came from that site.
agentmancuso

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum