Is it cheating ......

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Is it cheating ......

Postby dot924 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:19 pm

.........to log a visit even if it was years ago and I am not likely to go back to it anytime soon. I ask as I found an old picture of me at the top of Ben Nevis standing next to the trig from back in 1992! I would only add ones that I have a pictures of. I am sure I have got one somewhere of me at the top of Helvellyn and Snowdon Summit. What do you think??

Doreen
dot924

Re: Is it cheating ......

Postby stignest » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:12 am

Hi Doreen.
In one word no.
In several words... I have recently been going through my old hillwalking logs and updating my trig logs accordingly. Personally I take the view that if you are marking a trig which youve been too its fair enough -regardless of how long ago. I'd go further-buried blocks,rivets etc that ive not seen in top of hill ive just climbed are logged too..though marked as not found.
stignest

Postby clochandighter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:23 am

Hi Doreen,

If you have been there then, posting a log is not cheating. However, if you visited Ben Nevis on a date in 1992 then the logged date should reflect that. If you don't know the exact date, accurate to the month should suffice.

A few other users have been 'mass logging' hoards of trigs with one (wrong) date. That is so wrong.

Hope this helps,

Graeme
clochandighter

Postby dot924 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:00 am

Hi Gents,

It does help, thanks. I will have to have a sort out and see what I find. If any one else out there has a different view please let me know.

Doreen
dot924

Postby MAC.HAWK » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:16 pm

I'd agree that it's not cheating as long as you've got some idea of the original date. I first went up Ingleborough as a 13 year-old in 1968 but have no idea of the date other than in must have been in school term time as it was a school field trip. I haven't logged that visit as I've been up Ingleborough countless times in the last 20 years so logging the 1968 visit seems pointless. Like stignest I'll log anything buried if I've passed over the site but draw the line at getting the trowel or spade out, and always log as 'not found'.

I've seen logs that have been recorded as visits as they passed a certain pillar while traveling in the car on the nearby motorway (well, the pillar was visible!). I can think of at least 3 pillars not far from me where you could drive slowly past and actually 'tig the trig' with an extended walking pole (as a passenger of course).

I've logged pillars that I've never actually seen because they've been destroyed/removed or replaced, sure I never saw the original pillar but I've visited the site to see the replacement pillar or simply where the pillar once was.

Which of these, if any, is 'cheating'? I suppose what constitutes as 'cheating' is open to all sorts of interpretation................................
MAC.HAWK

Postby haighr01 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:01 am

In my opinion, no that's not cheating if you have bagged it you have bagged it. I have been to more trigs than I have logged but only because I decided when I joined in 2010 to start again at the beginning! My hope of course is to go back, most of them are in the Lake District from when I was a bit younger so certainly a challenge. No, make your own rules to the game, as long as you are true to them that's the sport/hobby its the adventure that counts.
haighr01

Postby peregrinus » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:12 am

I'd say if you have photographic or other evidence such as mention of trig in diary, it's OK to log. I agree a date is needed, if only approx. A retrospective made a long time after the event can be misleading if it has a wrong date, especially if the trig has been destroyed in the meantime.

I started trigging a couple of decades after I started hill bagging. I had no record of condition, or even that I'd seen the trigs, so I decided to revisit them for a proper log.
peregrinus

Postby The Eagle Has Landed » Tue May 03, 2016 9:08 pm

Forgive me please if this brings this topic back to the top, this is my first time on the forum.

I'd wondered about the cheating aspect having logged pillars that I've found while geocaching and, similar to Mac.Hawk above, seeing my first one as a teenager when I regularly climbed a hill near my hometown in Scotland. I shall worry no more.

Incidentally, I visited that hill again 4 years ago on a visit to my hometown to get a geocache, the last time I'd been up it was about 1985 as a 20 year old; the visit shocked me a bit...I have the memory of when I first climbed it, going up the rocky face freehand and discovering at the top there's a longer but easier path around the back! I'd never do it now, I seem to have developed a sense of fear as I've gotten older.
The Eagle Has Landed

Postby Chris M0RSF » Fri May 06, 2016 2:50 pm

Hello all,

I was going to ask the same question regarding logging Trig points that I have visited in the past while out playing Radio, Mountain Biking or Geocaching. A friend recently introduced me to this hobby so I believe that I'm fine to log past visits as long as I have photographic evidence and dates which I do.

Chris M0RSF
Chris M0RSF

Postby We TRye hard » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:38 pm

Hi
Currently I am logging only trig points I have visited since logged on or have proof of my visit.
I have a list of other trigs I have visited (pillars only) that I either
1) know the date of the visit but have neither time of visit nor photo evidence
or
2) know I have visited in the dim and distant past knowing neither date nor time.

Is it good etiquette to log these?
Would it be acceptable to log the trigs in both categories or would only the first be ok or neither?
Mick
We TRye hard

Next

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum