Is it cheating ......

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Re: Is it cheating ......

Postby agentmancuso » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:41 pm

Tbh, nobody cares about evidence. It's not that sort of game. At one time photos were a good way of establishing FB numbers for certain, but that is largely irrelevant now that we have OS database evidence for most numbers.

One criterion for logs is vital though: please don't log trigs in bulk using today's date. T:UK is a record of the changing physical condition of stations over long periods of time, so even if you're not really sure when a trig was visited, estimate it as best you can, and don't log the condition unless you remember for sure.
agentmancuso

Postby MAC.HAWK » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Forget the photo evidence, if you have a definite date of visit get them logged. If you have no accurate date to log, unless it's some sort of extremely remote pillar that you'll never get the chance to visit again, I'd suggest NOT logging these and try to revisit then log them.

If you feel you must log a trig where you don't have the details of the date of your visit make a guesstimate, but I think it would be common courtesy to other Triggers to note this in the accompanying text e.g. 'It was some time in the summer of 2004 but I don't have an exact date I'm afraid'

As for timing, I wouldn't worry about it too much really, it doesn't have to be exact (many of mine aren't exactly precise) but even if you've only got a vague idea of the time (morning? afternoon? evening?) it's worth logging - pick a generic timing e.g. 10am? 3pm? 7pm?

Ultimately it's about what you feel comfortable with, there are no strict rules to Trigging, anyone could log all the trigs in the local area, county, country etc without even visiting a single one............ but they'd only be fooling themselves!
MAC.HAWK

Postby G1ANQ » Wed May 31, 2017 11:58 am

Hi,
There are a couple of Trigs i was going to visit in the next couple of weeks in Portsmouth that i remember visiting back in the 80ies, when i lived there. But they have been destroyed! I think going there again and taking a picture of the area to confirm they have gone is OK. But i would log the visit as now, only saying that I can remember visiting them before.
But I dont think it really matters. We are not in competition with each other to log the most. (at least I am not) It is only a bit of fun! and a good reason to get out in the countryside and have a nice walk (or cycle in my case)
So if you can def remember visiting the trig, then put it down. But even better go and visit it again to see if it has changed or maybe sadly destroyed!
Bests!
G1ANQ

Previous

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum