What Counts!

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

What Counts!

Postby cud05 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:51 pm

I am new to trig pointing and would some guidance as to what can be listed on trigpointing.uk. What is the definition of a trig point for listing. Can I list FB which appears on a house or other structure which is not currently listed in the database. Do cut marks and FB identify a trig point even if it no longer appears (historically) on a map.

Re: What Counts!

Postby MAC.HAWK » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:04 pm

If you go to the Wiki section of the main TrigpointingUK website you will find a link to the types of trig points that are listed on the website, the list however is not exhaustive as Intersected Stations come in a variety of types (a few of which are identified in the article).

Also within the website see - http://trigpointing.uk/info/types.php which states the underneath.......................

"Flush brackets were fixed to walls at 1 mile intervals between FBMs. They consist of a metal plate with a unique number. There is also a horizontal mark with three vertical marks pointing towards it from below (the same mark as was carved into walls for lower order benchmarks). Flush brackets which are fixed to walls are not included in the database."

Finally, to my knowledge, OS mapping (well at least OS mapping open to the public) nowadays only shows pillars on their maps. There were/maybe still, the odd anomalies such as a well known Intersected Station (such as Stoodley Pike in Calderdale - see the entry for Stoodley Pike Monument for details) that linger(ed) in the mapping.

Re: What Counts!

Postby peregrinus » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:33 am

Non-pillar flush brackets can be logged on the excellent http://www.bench-marks.org.uk/ They shouldn't be added to TPUK

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum