Should we all stop trigging?

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Should we all stop trigging?

Postby MAC.HAWK » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:57 pm

Should we all accept that it's irresponsible to travel any sort of distance in the car/bus/train to go 'trigging' under the current climate?

Government advice is to stay local for your daily exercise, although they give no real indication of how long this should be (at the moment). There's already been reports of police sending people who have travelled some distance to rural areas back home.

Surely If we don't walk local during the current situation the government are going to penalise those that abuse their advice severely.

I know it's a real pain but.............. walk local and walk safe.
MAC.HAWK

Re: Should we all stop trigging?

Postby clochandighter » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:14 pm

Rural folk aren't wanting visitors. I know folk who live in the Scottish Highlands who are still seeing people arriving from the south by the campervan load. This could do long term damage in the relationship between walkers and landowners.

It is probably a good idea for everybody to exercise around their local trigs only, for now.

Is there any great hurry to keep clocking up the logs? The trigs will still be there after the restrictions have been lifted.

Let's not damage the relations between walkers (trig baggers) and landowners, which in the vast majority of cases is good.

We do have a few fruitloop GOMLs who will always be such. Let's not add to their numbers.

UPDATE: I have just seen of the News that farmers (arable & meat) are struggling to keep up with the demands of supermarkets and there is a shortage of labour on the farms. Imagine how farmers must feel when they cannot find people to pull the crops but can see that there are others who have the free time to be out walking at leisure.

These are very different times at present. We must remember the vast majority of farmers are our friends when we are out there during more normal times. Lets not spoil that.

Stay safe,

G
clochandighter

Postby haighr01 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:32 pm

Hi All,

My thoughts on this are that we should all refrain from our most favourite hobby of trigging until this is over. At least we shouldn't be travelling unless by foot to our local trigs. We are not immune from this danger! And we all want to come out of the other side. I've been a member on here for nearly ten years now, and have had untold fun and happy days trigpointing. I owe this site a lot, and feel an empathy with many of you, we haven't met most of us, but I feel as if I know something about many of you. We are all having our plans unravelled - I had a 200 mile hike planned, with many trigs en route, but if it has to be delayed it has. The simple fact is that rural communities and landowners don't want or need us to be there at this time. I completely agree that we will lose faith if we don't refrain. Let's not damage the good faith that landowners often show to us and our hobby! We all love trigpointing, I know I do, and will miss it for a while. We share a very special hobby, one that only a few hundred people probably do. That makes us, and our hobby, and the preservation of trigs (and access to them) really special in a world where so much is not. I'm lucky to have two pillars in my village that I can visit at the moment, and although it won't add to my stats, that doesn't matter too much right now. Let's hope before long, we are all back free to walk without fear in our beautiful and special kingdom again. Simon's Seat, Rombald's Moor and Cross Fell will still be waiting for us to find them again. Even Great Clump and Wentcliff Hill hey....Stay safe my friends - and protect each other by following the advice. We are triggers and we will get through this, because we share a belief and we share humanity. Good luck everyone.
haighr01

Postby Aqueously90 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:14 pm

Probably for the best for now, aye. I had great plans to get back into the swing of things this year and start racking up trigs and hills again, but that's on hold indefinitely.
Aqueously90

Postby eon » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:30 pm

And then there is COVID Trig Point Challenge....
eon

Postby agentmancuso » Fri May 01, 2020 10:51 am

eon wrote:And then there is COVID Trig Point Challenge....

Yes, I didn't like the look of that one bit either. But there was a discussion and some information about if on the FB page, and seems to fall within the guidelines, just about.
agentmancuso

Postby MAC.HAWK » Fri May 01, 2020 10:57 pm

I don't do FB but 'Just About' isn't good enough - peoples lives are at risk here and if this individual is actually accessing these trig sites he/she should be banned from the website due to gross irresponsibility - his/her logs cover a large section of mainland Britain which certainly doesn't need idiots roaming the country with the chance they are carrying (however minute the possibility) the Covid-19 virus.
MAC.HAWK

Postby eon » Sat May 02, 2020 1:18 pm

It would appear that it's a group of people doing the bagging. In different areas of the country separately , so I've not a problem with that.

But all those bagged by the group in any given day are posted as one - with no separation - on T:UK. So it looks like T:UK is just being used as a bit of a dumping ground day in and day out, plus the scant details/comments etc is annoying for those of us who like to give as much detail as possible for our logs.

My concern was It does seem at times however, that individuals in the group are travelling for some distance to get a dozen-ish trigs and spending a couple of hours to do so. Or even going out multiple times in a day.
eon

Postby BasilDowl » Sat May 02, 2020 1:36 pm

Have to say I agree. It's a great way of getting people into the hobby, but they are visiting dozens of sites and not recording any information at all; for example Porton - it would have been excellent to hear another's perspective on this. If there are 400 people all using one account to just use it as a ticking exercise, then it's not adding anything for anyone else. There is also, as Eon says, more than a few logs here that are either being done en masse with a group, or are too far apart to really be essential journeys... or driving to do them... if the majority of us are all sat at home waiting this out, and the majority of landowners are fearful of walkers/triggers etc bringing Covid onto their land, then surely this group could be a little more sensitive? Bit of a puzzler.
BasilDowl

Postby agentmancuso » Sat May 02, 2020 7:15 pm

eon wrote:It would appear that it's a group of people doing the bagging. In different areas of the country separately , so I've not a problem with that.

But all those bagged by the group in any given day are posted as one - with no separation - on T:UK. So it looks like T:UK is just being used as a bit of a dumping ground day in and day out, plus the scant details/comments etc is annoying for those of us who like to give as much detail as possible for our logs.

My concern was It does seem at times however, that individuals in the group are travelling for some distance to get a dozen-ish trigs and spending a couple of hours to do so. Or even going out multiple times in a day.

Yes, agreed on all counts. I suspect Ian is keeping an eye on it.
agentmancuso

Next

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum