Thanks - For the App

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Thanks - For the App

Postby Dr_Pepper » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:50 pm

Hi just saying hello, and thanks for a great website and app.

We've visited many trigs on mountains and wondered how many there are if anyone's ever found them all. I guess now we have the answer.
Having visited the 2 highest trigs in 2017, we decided for a laugh to visit the lowest one on New Year's day. Also, We run a scout troop and I'm making it their new mission to find all the local ones.

Whoever wrote the app well done it's brilliant, perfect for locating the trigs. In fact it's so good, it appears to be better than the actual OS map app itself!!!

This may be a silly question, but why does the website not have such a good map built in? Or am I missing something and somewhere you can look at an area and see where the trigs are easily?

Thanks again for your work.
Dr_Pepper

Re: Thanks - For the App

Postby agentmancuso » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:17 pm

I suppose the simple answer is that T:UK was designed and built in the days when licensing restrictions prohibited easy access to Landranger mapping; it might be different if Teasel was starting from scratch nowadays.
agentmancuso

Postby FrankR » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:57 pm

I likewise think the app is good, but I do have a question:
On my app it only seems to list the pillars. I'm presuming this is how it's setup, but was wondering whether it would be possible to have it give the option to list all other points such as bolts / surface blocks etc, and maybe for the user to have the option to select one or all types of points to show.
Either way, good job with the app.
Thanks for all the hard work that's gone into it.
Frank
FrankR

Postby agentmancuso » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:29 am

There's a built-in filter, which maybe defaults to pillars only.

From the opening screen, press Nearest to get a list of stations; from here your phone's Options menu button will bring up the filter. On many newish Samsung's, this is the bottom right corner button.
agentmancuso

Postby FrankR » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:36 pm

Thanks for that info, I didn't realize it could do that. Now that I've seen that, I reckon this app is darn near perfect.
Thanks again for the info.
FrankR

Postby stripybadger » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:49 pm

Dr_Pepper wrote:why does the website not have such a good map built in? Or am I missing something

I share your thoughts here - the one thing the website lacks is some good mapping. However a while back I came across an open source mapping project which has some basic integration with trigpointing.uk. It can inject a map into a trigpointing.uk page to show a specific trig or search results on an OS map. Not as good as the app but thought it might be of interest. See instructions here: https://tstibbs.github.io/geo-bagging/i ... nting.html
stripybadger

Postby agentmancuso » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:25 pm

Very interesting.
agentmancuso

Postby tasmod G4NQX » Mon May 14, 2018 5:24 pm

A bit late to answer but another way to show the trigs is via Google Earth using a kml file.

I have the 10km squares and the trig pillars as a selectable overlay for Earth. I can select just square SK79 say and show all the trig pillars in that square, Sometimes zooming in you can just visually make out open field pillars. Clicking on the trig opens Trigpointing uk for that pillar and the photos.

I use this for Amateur Radio purposes with the Worked All Britain group.

Rob G4NQX
tasmod G4NQX

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum