Accurate GPS / Grid Ref App for mobile phones

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Accurate GPS / Grid Ref App for mobile phones

Postby FrankR » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:33 am

HI all,
Was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good app for a smartphone that gives an accurate 10 figure grid reference. The one I currently use is good but can be a bit glitchy, and I spent a good hour and a half digging around for a block yesterday that I couldn't find in the end.
I'm presuming most people just use a proper GPS thing (Garmin or whatever) but I don't really want the outlay and another gadget added to my collection.
Thanks
Frank
FrankR

Re: Accurate GPS / Grid Ref App for mobile phones

Postby agentmancuso » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:44 pm

Even with a decent Garmin, you're looking at a 3m radius on a good day. I doubt if any mobile phone app gets anywhere near that.
agentmancuso

Postby FrankR » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:40 am

Thanks for that, I always kinda figured that actual GPS units would be more accurate than a phone app. So far my general philosophy has been to get to where I think the location is based on the phone app, and then if there is a higher point in the very immediate vicinity, I start there.
FrankR

Postby stripybadger » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:01 pm

One other thing to consider is Galileo, as this is supposed to offer higher accuracy (1 metre compared with GPS's 5 metres or so). Some recent phones (e.g. Galaxy S8) have a Galileo reciever built in, so if you have one of those then the accuracy might drop to an acceptable level and render a standalone reciever unecessary.

Supposedly Galileo is capable of centimetre accuracy, but it seems that won't be available to general public (and possibly not at all in the UK depending how the whole brexit thing goes!)
stripybadger

Postby FrankR » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks for the info StripyBadger.
I will have a look at that, but I expect that even if it does become widely available, I'm probably never likely to have a smartphone fancy enough to have that facility.
Ultimately I was just seeing what was about, as I just thought that Garmins etc would be more accurate than free apps on phones, as thats what they're specifically designed for. Also that there may have been an app better than the one I'm using.
In this presumption then, I gather that when people re-discover long lost trig points, it could involve considerable effort and much digging about.
FrankR

Postby ted » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:28 pm

I gather that when people re-discover long lost trig points, it could involve considerable effort and much digging about.

Thats part of the fun of this absurd game :)

Is there any likelihood of functional Galileo receivers, at a sane price,
in the not too distant future? Any improvement in accuracy would make
prospecting for blocks much easier, not to mention reduced wear and tear
on the knees.

Regards
Ted
ted

Postby Cootking » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:11 pm

The Galileo accuracy might go to cm but, do we have the locations of blocks etc to this degree of accuracy? Most of the sketches I've seen are fairly crude. When I retire It'll be the scythe, big screwdriver and spade I suspect.
Cootking

Postby MAC.HAWK » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:18 pm

MAC.HAWK

Postby TrigJS » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:27 pm

The more GNSS constellations you can use concurrently the better but the benefit might be more related to being able to get a reliable position in areas where sky visibility is limited (eg forests and urban canyons) rather than significant improvements in accuracy and precision.

What maybe more significant when searching for trig points is ensuring the datum transformation from the GNSS datum (eg WGS84) to OSGB36 is suitable (errors could be in the 10s metres or greater if incorrect). Due to various errors in OSGB36 a single 3 or 7 parameter transformation for the whole UK will result in inconsistent errors and OSTN15 is the OS recommended transformation. I’ve been using an iOS app called GPS OS, which though basic, uses OSTN15 and I’ve been getting a good correlation (usually less than a couple of meters) between the historic OS locations and the output from GPS OS.
TrigJS

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum