Mountain Bikes To Trigs

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Mountain Bikes To Trigs

Postby FrankR » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:58 pm

I was just wondering, has anyone ever used a mountain bike to shorten the journey to a trig? Are there some pillars out there where the use of a bike would be recommended? I've often cycled in to the cairngorms to shorten the walks to the crags but I know there are some places where cyclists are shunned for "ruining trails" and "mowing down" good honest people.
Just curious that's all.
FrankR

Re: Mountain Bikes To Trigs

Postby MAC.HAWK » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:05 pm

The main issue of using bikes (mountain, cyclo-cross or whatever) to access Trig points is using them inappropriately on footpaths and/or Open Access land, which as a general rule forbids cycles any sort of access to either. Strictly speaking, in England and Wales, cycles should be used on public roads (not motorways), byways open to all traffic, bridleways and restricted byways - all clearly marked on an OS map.

The main issues are cyclists persistently churning up footpaths and expecting people on foot to give way to them when actually the law dictates that cyclists should give way to pedestrians (on bridleways).

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to remonstrate with mountain bikers on footpaths who don't seem to (or want to) understand that the clue is in the name 'foot-path'

Having said that, there are some famous hills that you could bike up along the bridleways................. Helvellyn, High Street (Lakes), Snowdon, Ingleborough (Yorkshire), The Calf (Howgill Fells) etc and an awful lot you can get pretty close to if you're prepared the leg it the last couple of miles or so.
MAC.HAWK

Postby FrankR » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:16 pm

Despite my original post, I am also not keen on mountain bikes tearing up the footpaths and have had my fair share of having to dodge then when they come hating down past walker's, however it is good to know that fit those of us with enough common sense and respect that bikes can be useful in shortening walls to trig's where used appropriately. Also, I figured they would also be ideal for getting between trig points to avoid the hassle of dutifully back and forth on country roads etc struggling to find parking etc.
FrankR

Postby MAC.HAWK » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 pm

I've used the bike on the odd occasion to get from A to B when tigging multiple urban pillars and I'm certainly not anti-mountain bike................. if only they'd keep off the footpaths
MAC.HAWK

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum