Photos on the site

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Photos on the site

Postby BasilDowl » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi All

Long time trig-bagger, but have just started logging all my bags.

Just a quick question really - if I'm not bagging as part of a walk, I use my phone to take pics. Is there a reason the site flips portrait-oriented pics to landscape? I've had a few now that I can't flip for whatever reason.

Thanks!

Basil
BasilDowl

Re: Photos on the site

Postby agentmancuso » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:43 pm

My current phone does the same, but the last two didn't (all Samsungs running Android). Don't know why. Usually I log from the app then later download from the website to PC desktop, reorientate and re-upload. Not ideal, but I can't seem to find the appropriate setting.
agentmancuso

Postby MAC.HAWK » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:07 pm

I always upload from my Desktop PC and have never had an issue.
MAC.HAWK

Postby clochandighter » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:03 pm

This could be an EXIF issue.

On the occasion where I've had this problem, I have resolved the issue by opening the file in a photoeditor, rotating the image to the orientation I want then saving it again. On a Windows PC, this can be done using PAINT. Not sure how this would work on a handheld device if you don't have regular access to a desktop or laptop. The direct answer to your question may lie with having a photoediting app for Android or whichever platform your phone runs on.

Be aware that re-saving an image will drop the EXIF data, so make a copy of the original image to work on if you want to retain a record of the camera settings for each image.

I am glad to see by way of enquiring that you are making the effort to display your T:UK images correctly. I wish more would make that effort. the proportion of images be uploaded either sideways or upside-down seems to be on the increase.

Graeme.
clochandighter

Postby dot924 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:37 pm

I'm glad someone asked this question as again with a phone I have the same issue. I am now going to try and re-load mine.
dot924

Postby agentmancuso » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:39 am

I've noticed that even of you delete a sideways image, reorientate it and upload it again, the thumbnail still displays sideways!
agentmancuso

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum