Should we all stop trigging?

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc

Re: Should we all stop trigging?

Postby BasilDowl » Wed May 06, 2020 10:43 pm

There are now 500 users in that group, and they've covered almost 500 trigs - they're going through farmland and up and down dale. One bloke went for a 40 mile walk and bagged something like 16 pillars in one hit.

Surely this is now edging towards silliness? There are enough problems with narked farmers, access and the like without the current pandemic...
BasilDowl

Postby haighr01 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:48 pm

Not a fan of it really. For various reasons. Lockdown wasn't supposed to mean organise a bunch of people and send them out across the country. It doesn't feel right to me. Even the name doesn't feel right to me, it's off the mark. Maybe lockdown is getting to me, I know I am missing going out and being free to roam as I wish. It just doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the group though.
haighr01

Postby agentmancuso » Thu May 07, 2020 10:30 am

In light of the general feeling on this topic, I've emailed Ian Harris directly:

There's been a fair bit of discussion on the T:UK forum about the collective username Covid Trig Point Challenge. Aside from any theoretical risk involved, quite a few people have expressed their concern about the impression it creates.

It may be that you are aware of it already, but if not, I think it best you have a look. It's not what we usually do, I know, but many people would be happy if the whole username and everything associated with it vanished.

As a general rule, logs are never deleted, no matter how erroneous or misleading, but there's definitely a case to consider taking unusual steps here.
agentmancuso

Postby MAC.HAWK » Thu May 07, 2020 10:58 pm

Totally agree with Agentmancusco - the lockdown says you have to stay local, and whilst I appreciate not everyone has green space immediately on their doorstep most people don't have to travel too far to find such.

I don't have too many issues with the concept (although I find the name offensive) providing everybody stayed local and ideally gave some report on the trigs they visited, however like so much of modern society, a small minority are messing it up for everyone else.

It's certainly not in the spirit of TUK and if the mainstream media got hold of this I dread to think what they'd make of it - they certainly wouldn't make it look good.
MAC.HAWK

Postby agentmancuso » Fri May 08, 2020 12:35 pm

It has been agreed that the Covid Trig Point Challenge does fall plausibly within the current guidelines as issued by governments in both London and Edinburgh.

Guidance issued to the police in England states quite specifically: "It is lawful to drive for exercise."

We will continue to monitor the situation for any blatant abuses or other problems arising from the challenge, but for now this topic is closed.
agentmancuso

Previous

Return to TrigpointingUK Forum