Not logged in. login or register
TP25646 - Sandwich St Clements Church Tower
 
[UK map]
Grid reference :
Type :
Condition :
Good Good condition
OSGB36 Station :
TR26/T97
Current use :
none
Historic use :
T:UK waypoint :
TP25646
County :
Kent
Nearest town :
SANDWICH

OSGB36 trig archive spreadsheet - IW
Trig NameOriginal NameNew NameEASTINGNORTHINGHEIGHTORDERTYPE OF MARKComputing DateCLASS OF LEVELLINGDate of LevellingLEVELLING DATUMDESTROYED MARK INDICATORCOMMENTS
Sandwich St Clements Ch TwrTR26/T97TR26T097633285.64158007.040.0003BOLT01/01/198600
Sandwich St Clements Ch TwrTR26/T97TR26T097633287.16158006.850.0003CENTRE01/01/198600
Sandwich St Clements Ch TwrTR26/T97TR26T097633287.34158007.050.0003FLAGSTAFF01/01/198600
Sandwich St Clements Ch TwrTR26/T97TR26T097633285.67158007.050.0004BOLT01/06/195301Recomputed 01/86
Sandwich St Clements Ch TwrTR26/T97TR26T097633287.19158006.860.0004CENTRE01/06/195301Recomputed 01/86
Sandwich St Clements Ch TwrTR26/T97TR26T097633287.36158007.050.0004FLAGSTAFF01/06/195301Recomputed 01/86

Nearby trigpointsplacenames 

There are 6 photos for this trigpoint (view album).

This trigpoint:
Is ranked joint 10071st with 96 other trigs (more).
Has a mean score of 5.14/10 (from 7 logged visits)
Was First logged: 21st Feb 2015
Was Last found intact: 25th Jul 2017
Was Last logged: 6th Nov 2019

Of the 7 logged visits,
1 recorded a location

The error was 0m

[map]
[key]
SANDWICH SANDWICH Poulders Gardens Poulders Gardens Richborough Hill Richborough Hill Sandwich St Peters Church Vane Sandwich St Peters Church Vane Ncb Power House Tank Ncb Power House Tank Worth Church Spire Worth Church Spire The Black Sluice The Black Sluice Royal St Georges Royal St Georges pkbathrooms pkbathrooms Sandwich St Clements Church Tower Sandwich St Clements Church Tower [Zoom In/Out] [Hide Labels]

You are not logged in. You must login if you wish to log a visit.


 
Selection of photos for this Bolt.


By pkbathrooms

By pkbathrooms
Building corner of Knight Rider Road and Sandown Road 13.02.17
By pkbathrooms

By pkbathrooms
See 2 more in the album.

Logged Visits:

Inaccessible 6th Nov 2019  16:31  by asbown

FB Number: Not logged  Condition: Inaccessible  Score: 5/10


Inaccessible 10th Jun 2019  17:06  by Border Peat

FB Number: Not logged  Condition: Inaccessible  Score: 4/10


Good condition 25th Jul 2017  20:47  by Ant1974

FB Number: Not logged  Condition: Good  Score: 5/10


Inaccessible 13th Feb 2017  14:32  by pkbathrooms

Gridref: TR 33285 58007   FB Number: Not logged  Condition: Inaccessible  Score: 7/10

Interesting Building corner of Knight Rider Road and Sandown Road http://www.stclementschurchsandwich.org.uk/church_services.htm There are regular services at the church. The Parish Church, as it has become since the union of the three original Sandwich parishes (St Clement's, St Peter's and St Mary's) in 1948, stands in the south-east sector of town, adjoining the ramparts. It was formerly the election place of the Mayors of Sandwich and there are many carved headstones in its ancient and extensive churchyard. The central tower and east and west part of the nave belong to a 12th century aisle-less church; in the 13th century, the chancel was rebuilt with a north chapel and, in the 14th century, a south chapel was added. Originally, the church was cruciform in plan, as was characteristic of Norman buildings, but the addition of chantries and chapels produced the present shape and dimensions. The Norman tower is one of the finest in England and the pillars that support it have rounded arches and curiously carved capitals with various ornaments of scrolls, frets, foliage and grotesque figures. In the north-west angle of these columns is the doorway to the spiral staircase over which is an interesting tympanium with late Saxon or early Norman carvings. The octagonal heraldic font has on one of its faces the arms of ancient Sandwich, and on the south face, the arms of Archdeacon Robert Hallum, by whom it is believed the font was given in about 1406. Over the north door is the "Priest's Room", and other interesting features are the oak stalls of the members of the Confraternity of St Clement, one of which is a miserere seat; and many indents of brasses, one of which was the Bishop of Ross, Vicar of the parish in 1444. St Margaret's Chapel has a complete medieval tiled floor; also a Gradas (gospel-step) built into the altar dais; two altar stones are now restored to their proper use after having been used as tombstones. The Chapel of St George contains a statue of St John that was taken from Lincoln Cathedral by the Puritans. The Mayor's seat, which faces this Chapel, bears the date 1869.






Building corner of Knight Rider Road and Sandown Road 13.02.17


Good condition 27th Apr 2015  11:00  by Lathama

FB Number: Not logged  Condition: Good  Score: 5/10

Church is no longer regularly used as a place of worship. Occasional services held but can be hired for community activities.


Good condition 31st Mar 2015  14:24  by rowleybirkin

FB Number: Not logged  Condition: Good  Score: 5/10


Inaccessible 21st Feb 2015  18:52  by peregrinus

FB Number: Not logged  Condition: Inaccessible  Score: 5/10

centre, flagstaff intact, bolt not investigated



The TrigpointingUK database is owned and maintained by Ian Harris (Teasel). The TrigTools pages are provided by Barry Hunter. Contact us.